Thursday, April 26, 2007

Student Surveys

I just had a class in which I taught about media influence. At the end of class I asked seven groups of students (four students in each group) to answer the following questions:

(below I've provided the questions along with the answers from each group separated by " / ")




1. How many hours of TV does your group watch each day? 2 / 10 / 3 / 5 / 6 / 15 / 30
(keep in mind, all of these numbers are split in four ways)

2. How many people in your group read the newspaper each day? 0 / 0 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 2

3. How many hours of radio does your group listen to each day? 0 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 2 / 0 / 0


4. What type of TV shows does your group watch most often? Variety
[Var.] / Drama / Var. / -- /Var. / Var. / Var.

5. How many hours does your group spend on the Internet each day? 11 / 12 / 0.5 / 5.5 / 6 / 9 / 4

*********

Last week, I taught a lesson on volunteering. I asked a class of 42 students, "Who knows a friend or family member who has ever volunteered for anything? It could have been for one day or one week. Any amount of time. Raise your hand if you know someone."

One student raised his hand.

I thought there was some mistake: did they understand my question? Only one student?! The Japanese teacher translated my question into Japanese.

Again, the same student raised his hand.

No comments: